Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Procrastination

From the time I have learnt to eat food on my own I remember my parent scolding me on procrastinating. I am procrastination personified, if either of my parents ever read this, they would tell instead of that stupid blog do something about those things you have been pushing for later.
What happens when procrastination becomes the norm instead of the exception? I would say everyone would end up being me I have no idea why I procrastinate, it is like putting things for later is the best thing I do. Anyone close to me would agree that the first thing I do for any task is find a reason to push it for later. I have done that in my studies (no doubt I am such a scholar), in expressing my love to my gal, in making investments, in my work place every deadline is pushed to it max extent. Now what have I left! Even after this habit of mine hurting my dreams and aspirations for some reason I just don’t seem to learn.
Because of this addiction to procrastinate I have lost quite a few opportunities to make a difference. These days the most important thing I have been postponing is the task of studying my law subjects. I better get my ass down and learn from my past mistakes. I read somewhere “If you dn’t use success to enrich your life then you are putting failure into Gucci shoes.” And for now I feel like I am the Gucci shoes. I have been trying hard to get away from one more of my addictions “PROCRASTINATION”. Recently I read an article about structured procrastination, which made me write this blog that I have as usual postponed for too long.
Structured procrastination is the art/talent of making my bad trait work for me, isn’t that cool! The key hypothesis is that procrastinating does not mean doing absolutely nothing, I rarely do absolutely nothing; I do marginally useful things, like browsing net or reading useless magazines/papers or making a diagram of how I will reorganize files/mails when I get around to it. Why do I do these things? Because they are a way of not doing something more important!
Structured procrastination requires a certain amount of self-deception. I will have to be able to recognize and commit to tasks with inflated importance and unreal deadlines, while making myself feel that they are important and urgent. This is not a problem, because virtually all procrastinators have excellent self-deceptive skills also. And what could be more noble than using one character flaw to offset the bad effects of another? Perfect!!!