Monday, July 31, 2006

First Time

I have lately realized that for anything in life, the first experience cannot be matched by any other experience. One of the bands I love has a song on this context. SADE – Never As Good As First Time. Recently when my thoughts were lingering on this topic this song was playing and I was able to relate to the lyrics.
After that I have been pondering over this for sometime now, and I am able to recollect a few first times etched into my memory. They are fresh on my mind and I feel they happened just sometime back, some of the memorable first times are
My first personal failure
My first college fight
My first win in a sport
My first crush
My first date
My first Kiss
My first attempt at expressing my love
My first Day at work
My first Pay check
I can make a huge list of other smaller first times like being hit, sky diving, skiing, roller coasters etc etc.
Now coming to the basic question of why is that the first experiences over-shadows all the remaining instance of the same activity. Why is that we give so much importance to something when we are doing/performing for the first time? Why do first impressions contribute so much to our perception of things?
There are a lot of firsts in life. The reason that we remember these ‘firsts’ is because they are important to us. After the first time, we have crossed over into new territory. The second time won’t be like the first time it is no more the land of unknowns!