Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Security


I would love to get the secure feeling of walking alone with my dog back when I was a child, or sleeping at night after listening to one of my Mom’s mix ‘n match stories. These days I cherish the feeling of playing some good music on and driving with my gal as the navigator. It is more or less like my life; I am driving with directions and help from my gal.
Security has always been a loaded word. Webster’s defines it as “freedom from fear, anxiety, danger, and doubt.” It is within Maslow’s famous hierarchy of needs, and in my case it is achieved in a different order. So no matter how you slice it, security comes down to fundamental sense of well-being or safety.
Few days back my well wishers gave the same reason “Security” to dissuade me from resigning from the company I have been with for past 5+ years. The point I am not able to understand is how working in a big company gives security? Security is not the point of concern for me as of now. I need to focus on the aspects of self actualization. I want to have the peak experiences in my career like in everything I do. To do this I need to expose myself to newer opportunities-challenges. I hope the decision of shifting companies will open doors to the path I want to take rather than being just a window to the path!