Monday, November 14, 2005

Home

Where is HOME for me? I have lost sense of feeling of home for a very very long time now. I consider myself Homeless. I have had this feeling from the time I got my first salary way back in 1996 and realized I am responsible for myself. There is no relation whatsoever to the incident but after that I have felt like I am not at home. I have stayed in many places over the past 10 years, but I do not feel and consider any of the places my home. Every place was just an apartment or a house to stay in never a home. There was something missing always.
"Home is where we start from, but home is also where we are bound for, the place we always seek." – David Steindl-Rast
So what is home? Is it just a place with bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and obviously roof! No, I don’t consider that home; there must be some sort of attachment to the place. Each city or a town will have its own characteristics, as New York is forever awake, Boston is academically oriented, Pune has such lively young crowd, and Bangalore has the pot-holed roads! So any person if he/she considers that city as home gets used to that characteristic. If there is a need to move to a different city there is some amount of inertia to move. Compare this to my state; I had no qualms in moving from one place to the other, Boston is my sixth base. Not once have I had any kind of inertia to move, without a second thought I have moved. I have liked every place I have visited, but I was not able to identify myself with anything. This point’s at the fact that I am a lost soul looking for his identity. Where does my identity lie, that I can decipher only when I reach home. Trapped in this vicious maze not knowing where I am running to in this marathon called life, I shudder at the thought of not knowing my own identity until the last leg of the marathon. I just hope I get to relish the taste of sipping a hot cup of coffee looking into the horizon from the balcony of my HOME.